How to Find Civil War Pension Records & Indexes - Union & Confederate

Ordering Records

Generally you will find that Union Civil War Pension Records are available from the National Archives while Confederate Civil War Pension Records can be found in the appropriate State Archives or equivalent agency. Most Union soldiers (or their widows or other dependents) applied for a pension. Confederate pensions were usually only available to disabled or indigent soldiers or their dependents.

Union Pension Records Online Confederate Pension Records and Indexes
Ordering Confederate Pension Records Online Civil War Records Related Resources

Genealogy Guides

Census Records | Irish Genealogy | Military Records

Naturalization Records | Passenger Lists | State Research Guides | Main Page

compiled by Joe Beine | Contact | Site Map | Privacy Policy and Disclaimer
may not be republished in any form without permission